hamber opera in three acts
Text Eric Crozier 1914-1994 freely adapted from a novella Le Rosier de Madame Husson by Guy de Maupassant 1850-1893
First performance 20 Jun 1947 Glyndebourne Sussex Frederick Ashton prod John Piper design Benjamin Britten cond. Joan Cross - Lady Billows Peter Pears - Albert Herring EOG Orchestra
Dedication `Dedicated to E.M. Forster in admiration`Edward Morgan Forster 1879 1970 was an English novelist short story writer essayist and librettist
- Scene 1 The breakfast room in Lady Billows` house Loxford.
- Scene 2 Mrs Herring`s greengrocery shop.
- Scene 1 The scene is inside a marquee set up in the Vicarage garden.
- Scene 2 Inside the shop later that evening.
- [Scene] Mrs Herring`s greengrocery shop. The afternoon of May the second.